1989 – 2003

The first rally car known to have passed Kehala gravel quarry was in 1989 when on the roads on West-Viru County and Estonia the Soviet Union Winter Rally Championships were held. The rally in itself was historic – it was the first time in the Soviet era when spiked tires were allowed to be used in car races. Märt Ots – a race car driver and organiser of one of the rallies during the Soviet times – later also initiated the Viru Rally in 2003. “The rally certainly covered Kehala path – entry and exit points were approximately at the same places where today,” recalls Ots.

In the autumn of 2000 the now deceased rally driver Priit Kasak organised the Estonian rally sprint championship stage that begun on the gravel road between Vinni and Kehala and continued at the current complex. The competitors’ car park was located above the nowadays paired circuit and the track went through the current spectator area. “We noticed that this is a fierce place to organise and watch the competition – the runway can be built below into the so-called hole and spectators placed high on the banks,” recalled Ots. “Thereafter the idea to establish the complex was born.”

2003 – 2006

Märt Ots and Priit Karask invited Maaris Šveters, who was also closely connected to rally sports, to become the third partner in the venture and formed a KOS club. This motorsport club bought the quarry and some additional nearby land at the public auction from the state and began to implement their ideas.

In winter 2003 the first ice track race was held on the circuit that generally covers the current paired circuit. In the spring of the same year the first viaduct was built and one third of the paired circuit covered with asphalt pavement. Around Midsummer’s time there took place the first public rally of Virumaa. On the newly built paired circuit track there was one of the additional tests of the aforementioned competition.
During the summer of the same year fencing of the paired track was installed and in August at the Viru Rally competition the paired circuit was used for one of the additional test drives.

In the coming Viru Rally races Kehala was covered exclusively on every following race not only as the paired track but also on the additional test beginning in Vinni and ending in Kantküla.

2006 – 2011

In autumn 2006 Oleg Gross, a big rally sports enthusiast and owner of OG Elektra, became the new owner of the motorsports complex. He included in his team his car racer son Georg Gross and relying on the advice of well-known and recognized race car drivers, began to expand the complex.

The first conversions were completed by 2007 for the time of the Viru Rally. The paired circuit was widened, viaduct repaired, and some brand new tracks built. Also building the connecting roads to the quarry (bound towards Vinni and Kantküla-Kehala highway) and renovating the extensions began, because these roads are used on rally stages. The first part of the renovated complex was opened by none other than Markko Martin, driving through a specially erected banner.

By the time of the 2008 Viru Rally the second viaduct and the driving lane going under was built. The trampoline located on the western side of the complex, where 50-meter airborne car flights are currently taken, was made considerably higher.

In 2010 the complex was supplemented by a third viaduct and with a 3-kilometre lane section.

In 2012 a major expansion of the complex took place, adding to the complex a 3.4 km long track section which is located on the other side of Kantküla-Kehala highway and three pedestrian bridges to facilitate the movement of spectators from one place to another.